Monday, February 9, 2015

“Serving the Least” Adult Sunday School Lesson


International Sunday School Lesson
For Sunday February 15, 2015

Purpose: To answer God’s call to live a life of intentional love

Bible Lesson: Matthew 25:31-46

Matthew 25:31-46 (CEB)
(31) “Now when the Human One comes in his majesty and all his angels are with him, he will sit on his majestic throne. 32 All the nations will be gathered in front of him. He will separate them from each other, just as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. (33) He will put the sheep on his right side. But the goats he will put on his left.

(34) “Then the king will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who will receive good things from my Father. Inherit the kingdom that was prepared for you before the world began. (35) I was hungry and you gave me food to eat. I was thirsty and you gave me a drink. I was a stranger and you welcomed me. (36) I was naked and you gave me clothes to wear. I was sick and you took care of me. I was in prison and you visited me.’

(37) “Then those who are righteous will reply to him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you a drink? (38) When did we see you as a stranger and welcome you, or naked and give you clothes to wear? (39) When did we see you sick or in prison and visit you?’
(40) “Then the king will reply to them, ‘I assure you that when you have done it for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you have done it for me.’

(41) “Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Get away from me, you who will receive terrible things. Go into the unending fire that has been prepared for the devil and his angels. (42) I was hungry and you didn’t give me food to eat. I was thirsty and you didn’t give me anything to drink. (43) I was a stranger and you didn’t welcome me. I was naked and you didn’t give me clothes to wear. I was sick and in prison, and you didn’t visit me.’

(44) "Then they will reply, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or naked or sick or in prison and didn’t do anything to help you?’ (45) Then he will answer, ‘I assure you that when you haven’t done it for one of the least of these, you haven’t done it for me.’ (46) And they will go away into eternal punishment. But the righteous ones will go into eternal life."

My Thoughts by Burgess Walter

The title for this month’s series of lessons is “Stewardship for Life.” It is impossible to separate this lesson from the previous two lessons. It is when we combine this week along with next week and the past two weeks that we get a better picture of what it means to live a life of stewardship. Living a life that is centered on our own prayer life, which should include fasting, also means living a life that is kind and caring to those that we find in need. It also means that as Christians or Christ followers we need to be open to opportunities for “intentional service and love.” While serving others is important, we must be sure that we ourselves are prepared to face whatever the world throws at us.

In today’s text we see a picture painted by Matthew of a day in the future. It should remind us that the way we start is not important. It is the way that we use what we have been given. Jesus (The Human One) came into this world as a baby in a borrowed manager. He was never wealthy or blessed with much of earth’s treasures, yet the picture is one of majesty, splendor, and power.

Jesus is given all authority by the Father, to sit in judgment over all the nations of the world. Jesus has come a long way from the simple life he lived while on earth. From the story of the “Good Samaritan,” to “The Least of These,” our lives need to reflect the purpose, and intentional love that Christ expects his children to demonstrate.

There is an eternity where we will spend uncountable days. The question is, will it be in the splendor and majesty that Jesus enjoys? Or will it be us proceeding to that eternal punishment?

There are many in this world that have done good things and given billions to those less fortunate, but will they have the “righteousness of Christ?” The “righteousness of Christ,” can only be achieve by God’s grace that responds to our belief and trust in Him as “the redeemer of all humankind.” The Saints of old were redeemed by the faith that made them righteous in God’s sight. Today, we also are redeemed by grace through faith that makes us righteous in God’s sight.

Being the recipients of such a great undeserved gift should make us more loving and caring than those that have no hope. Serving others, wherever they are found, is our reasonable, intentional love.

We join with others in proclaiming “All Hail the Power of Jesus Name”


No comments: