Monday, March 2, 2015

“Jesus Promises an Advocate” Adult Sunday School Lesson


International Sunday School Lesson
For Sunday March 8, 2015

Purpose: To identify ways the Spirit is present in our lives

Bible Lesson: John 14:15-26

John 14:15-26 (CEB)
(15) “If you love me, you will keep my commandments. (16) I will ask the Father, and he will send another Companion, who will be with you forever. (17) This Companion is the Spirit of Truth, whom the world can’t receive because it neither sees him nor recognizes him. You know him, because he lives with you and will be with you. (18) “I won’t leave you as orphans. I will come to you. (19) Soon the world will no longer see me, but you will see me. Because I live, you will live too. (20) On that day you will know that I am in my Father, you are in me, and I am in you. (21) Whoever has my commandments and keeps them loves me. Whoever loves me will be loved by my Father, and I will love them and reveal myself to them.” (22) Judas (not Judas Iscariot) asked, “Lord, why are you about to reveal yourself to us and not to the world?” (23) Jesus answered, “Whoever loves me will keep my word. My Father will love them, and we will come to them and make our home with them. (24) Whoever doesn’t love me doesn’t keep my words. The word that you hear isn’t mine. It is the word of the Father who sent me. (25) “I have spoken these things to you while I am with you. (26) The Companion, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you everything and will remind you of everything I told you.

Key Verse “The Companion, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you everything and will remind you of everything I told you.” (John 14:26)

My Thoughts by Burgess Walter

There is nothing that scares us more than talking about the “Holy Spirit.” I recently heard one of the late night comedians say, “I do not trust any religion that believes in ghosts.” Like most things we do not understand, the Holy Spirit or Holy Ghost (same person) scares us. Ironically, what was supposed to brings us comfort and peace brings us fear.

The world outside of Christianity can never understand how the Holy Spirit works within the body of believers. “Part of the Deity is only given to those that keep Jesus’ commandments. Verse 17 says “This Companion is the Spirit of Truth, whom the world can’t receive because it neither sees him nor recognizes him. You know him, because he lives with you and will be with you.” This follows the verse that says. “If you love me, you will keep my commandments.” So how do we keep Jesus’ commandments? Matthew 22:37-39 says, “...You must love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your being, and with all your mind. (38)This is the first and greatest commandment. (39) And the second is like it: You must love your neighbor as you love yourself.

The Holy Spirit has been promised by Jesus. The Greek word used is paraclete. It can mean “encourager”, “comforter,” “helper,” or “advocate.” The Paraclete is for everyone that follows the teachings of Jesus forever. The promise of the Holy Spirit is not seasonal or limited in time, it is a forever promise. Jesus did not leave us as orphans, but rather has placed us in the care of the Great Comforter.

It might be important to point out that the Holy Spirit does not give us new teachings, but only reminds us of what Jesus taught, including things that we may have forgot.

The role of the Holy Spirit is to remind us that God’s law of love, is still the most important teaching. In addition the Holy Spirit can help us live a life that displays that love in everything we do. The Holy Spirit also reminds us that God loves us, and what He was willing to do to show that love towards us.

Our text links Gods love and our obedience three times in verses 15, 21, 23, 24. Obedience is the how we are to respond to God’s love. Living a life of obedience offers many privileges that the world cannot know or understand.

Are you living a life of privilege? As followers of Christ, we should be rejoicing in what we know, that the world doesn’t.

“It is glory just to walk with him.”


No comments: